Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Weekend in Sevilla


Making $$ at the casino
This week I started classes and nothing too exciting happened. I did however have my first homework assignment, which was to visit a museum called La Virreina, and it was really cool. All of the artwork was done by Al Weiwei, who is a serious activist, and all of his artwork was extremely aggressive—but awesome. I wish schoolwork always involved discovering a new museum. Since we were adjusting to our new school schedule we didn’t really go out during the week, except one night we went to a casino. It was a very strange and entertaining experience. I gambled one euro and lost my euro, so I’ve given up on gambling. We also ended our night at the 24hr bakery, which makes any night a good night.


After a long week of classes I was pretty exhausted and knew I had to wake up early the next morning for my flight to Sevilla. Then I chatted with Eric and he told me he bought a ticket to Barcelona...WOOOO (ps hi Eric if you're reading this) and I am so so excited --sorry I am being such a girl about this. So I was extra jittery and super pumped to leave for Sevilla in the morning with the Floor-5 roomies (Katie = honorary 5th roomie). Waking up at 4:20 was shockingly not too bad, and the Aerobus made getting to the airport extremely easy. I got on the flight, took a nap, and woke up in Sevilla. We were pretty delusional when we first landed, but after sitting in a cafe for 1.5 hours, eating some chocolate pancakes, and sipping on a cortado I was ready to start our adventure. We headed to la Plaza de Toros de la Maestranza, which is the 2nd biggest bull fighting arena in Spain. It was so interesting, and I learned a ton about bull fighting, but I am really glad I didn't see a match because it would have been pretty gruesome. 

My lil bulls


 Alcazar Plaza
Then we walked around all happy in the sun and we loved all of the orange trees throughout the city. Seriously, the Orange trees RULE! And then we checked in at our hostel, which was really nice (shout out to Samay hostel in Sevilla). After a little regrouping we went to Plaza Alcazar and I was amazed. Every detail in this palace was breathtaking and it was HUGE. We spent so much time in the palace and still didn't see every part of it. Ugh I would have killed to live in there with all of the beautiful tiles (reminded me of an ancient Anthropologie). After a quick nap we decided to treat ourselves to a nice dinner at Vineria (best meal yet!!) and were so so happy. We then headed to a bar that was referred to as a “sangria beer garden”. It was this old authentic bar and had live music. Mara, Anna, and I even got up to dance, which was pretty hilarious considering we do not know how to dance like Spaniards. After a pitcher of sangria, ½ a pitcher of pinto de verano, and some disgusting (but funny) nuts from a vending machine, I was ready for bed.

La Plaza de Espanol
The next day we woke up ready for another full day. We started off with breakfast and then reserved our Flamanco tickets for later that night. Next, we visited the Seville Cathedral, which is the largest gothic cathedral in the world. It was HUGE!! We worked up an appetite and finally cracked and became Americans—we ate hamburgers. No regrets, it was delicious. After, we walked to la Plaza de Espana, which was also incredible. So “big and good” (HA). We finished our night on a high note going to the Flamanco show at la Casa de la Memoria. My jaw literally dropped watching the show. I honestly did not know anything about Flamanco dancing, except that it was something I needed to do while in Sevilla. Now I need to make sure that EVERYONE goes to Sevilla and sees a Flamanco performance because it was fantastic! It was elegant and fierce tap dancing on crack,. YOU MUST GO! You cannot find anything like it back home. After being amazed, we went for dessert and wine at a restaurant and enjoyed the rest of our night.

The five of us had the greatest time in Sevilla. It is unbelievable how perfect everything was and I loved traveling with these 4 girls. Special thanks to Becca for being mother goose and directing us all weekend. We would be lost without you (literally)! 

Also from now on I will be uploading pictures to Facebook on a more regular basis because trying to upload over 100 pictures at once was a HORRID experience. FB wouldn’t load and I wanted to cry and had to re-upload them in chunks and then Mara and Becca gave me a hard time and they are both evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment