![]() |
| San Pau Campus |
I cannot believe it has already been a week since I arrived in Barcelona, and at the same time I feel like I have been here for months. We
start classes on Monday, so life will start to normalize. I am
actually kind of excited to go to school, especially since the San Pau campus is
absolutely beautiful. I do not think I will be able to return to the depressing
BPS building after this semester.
![]() |
| La Sagrada Familia |
![]() |
| Las patatas bravas |
On Tuesday Mara, Anna, and I were exploring a new area while waiting for our meetings with Ryan. We realized how close we were to la Sagrada
Familia and we decided to sit at the park and just stare at it. It blows my
mind that you can find such incredible sites in Barcelona without even trying. Another great discovery: las patatas bravas. Once you eat these delicious potatoes life will never be the same.
![]() |
| Geese inside of the cathedral |
Another highlight was our tour of the
Gothic Quarter. There is so much history I would have never known, and the tour
guide was fantastic. My favorite part was visiting the main cathedral of Barcelona.
Fun fact: There are 13 geese inside of the cathedral in memory of
Eulialia, who was 13 years old when she was killed for refusing to convert from
Christianity. We also learned about Sant Jordi, who is displayed throughout the
city. According to legend, Sant Jordi slayed a dragon that was killing all of
the virgin women in Barcelona. When he killed the dragon a rose appeared from
its blood, and Sant Jordi gave the rose to the princess. La diada de St. Jordi
(the equivalence of our Valentines Day) is on April 23rd and is based
on this tale. This is why it is tradition here to give a rose (or book) to the
person you love on April 23rd. Sorry guys, I’ll stop with the history
lessons.
![]() |
| Hot chocolate + churros |
After our gothic tour we were scheduled to take part in a
gymkhana (aka a scavenger hunt). Unfortunately we were exhausted from the tour,
so we half-assed the gymkhana. Instead, Katie, Mara, Becca and I went to a café
and ordered hot chocolate and churros. Hot chocolate here is SO good—it is pretty
much a cup of half melted chocolatey wonderfulness. We were very happy, but
pretty much failed the gymkhana.
That same night we decided to take on Opium for the first
time. Most of you may have heard of this club before (it’s the one that everyone who
goes to Barcelona talks about). We went with a big group and I was surprised by
how much fun I had. The club is right on the water and was like nothing I had
ever been to before. It was a great time until someone stepped on my foot,
which resulted in a very bloody foot. Even so, I will definitely go back.
The next day we explored Born, which is a hip area in
Barcelona. We perused the streets, munched at a café, and went into another
cathedral. On our way back we finally got SIM cards for our phones (yay for
being able to communicate!!) and then we prepared for another night out. Somehow
we ended up at Smalls Club. This was not our intended destination; I repeat not
our intended destination. We found someone advertising the club, and girls were
offered a complimentary drink, so why not go in, right? To my surprise, we had
a blast at Smalls, even though its name was Smalls. Even better, we found a
24hour pastry shop our on way home (this will be dangerous in the future).
![]() |
| Exploring Born |
Other exciting news: five of us planned our first trip--we are going to Seville this Friday!! I also booked my spring break trip to Italy WOO. Can't wait for all of the adventures ahead.
**I just need to add that the weather here has been beautiful
and my heart goes out to those living in polar bear temperatures.






No comments:
Post a Comment